Thursday, March 10, 2011

Alex: Part 2

Alex had his first heart worm treatment this week. He saw Dr. Martin Tuesday and Wednesday for his back to back shots. In another month, he'll go back for his last shot and month after that, he will be heartworm free and able to resume normal activity. During his treatment he must stay calm and quiet so as not to put any strain on his heart and lungs while the heartworms are passing through those organs and dissolving in his body. This is certainly not a challenge with Alex. I was hoping to have major progress to report on my second post about Alex, but truthfully, I don't. Alex is still glued to his kennel and is not bonding with me or my boyfriend at all. He does whatever is asked of him--leash walking, taking meds, potty breaks outside, etc. But his tail almost never wags. He keeps his head ducked and constantly behaves as if we're about to beat him. It breaks my heart!! We give him yummy treats as often as possible. We pet him and talk to him all the time. I've even leashed him to me to so that he goes where I go, hoping he will see that hanging out with me isn't so bad. My boyfriend has sat with him on the floor a few times and petted and brushed him so gently. Any other dog I've ever know would be in heaven with that kind of attention. Alex endures it but can't wait to be allowed back to his kennel. I'm not sure what else to do to gain his trust. Does he just need time to heal from whatever happened to him in his past? Will he be able to move on and trust again? My plan at this time is continue to shower him with love and attention. Maybe a little bit of internet research on dealing with a shy and fearful dog will shed some light on Alex's situation. Any advice from my readers is much appreciated!!! Alex's story has just begun and I'm looking forward to the happily ever after!!

1 comment:

  1. My roommate adopted a formerly abused dog a few years ago. She had spent about 6 years living in 3 different homes that the adoption agency eventually had to remove her from. She was apparently starved and physically abused at all 3 former homes. When he brought her home she was even worse off than it sounds like Alex is. She would spend all of her time curled up in a corner and would immediately begin to shake and cower when a person entered the room. If you walked into the room and she didn't immediately see you, she would jump and run when she finally did realize you were there. He said it took 6 months before she would even let him pet her.

    Now... the two are inseparable. She's a happy, energetic ol' gal that loves everyone she meets. She's practically the welcomer to our house. Millie greets everyone with a smile, a ton of butt wagging (cause her tail is barely visible), and a lot of excitement.

    There are still times when you can tell she was formerly abused. If she sees anyone pick up a broom, mop, shovel or other long-handled tool, she cowers away. If you approach her too quickly she falls to the ground and whimpers. But otherwise, she's extremely social, loves people, and seems to love life.

    He said it will probably just take time for Alex to come around. It took Millie about 2 years to fully trust him. She began making small strides before that, but the dog she is today took a while. I'm sure once the vet visits are over it'll get better, too. Alex probably doesn't realize that the shots are for his own good. He probably just thinks it's something painful being done to him.

    But the memories of his previous life will fade over time and he'll realize he's got a much better life now. It will just take time. If anyone can bring him around, I know it's you!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete